|Location||Multiplayer Store with Reckoning Pack|
|Fire Mode||Charged Semi-Automatic|
The Venom shotgun was developed by the salarian Special Tasks Group to meet the unpredictable needs of those stationed in hostile areas. The double barrel fires ammunition that detonates on impact, while a third barrel below can be charged to fire a round of microgrenades. Given the nature of most STG assignments, the Venom was designed to force an exit strategy and was issued to teams whose primary objective was to extract compromised undercover operatives. The shotgun is now issued to frontline soldiers in the war against the Reapers.
Player Notes Edit
- This weapon has 2 firing modes:
- Uncharged - fire one explosive round on a shallow trajectory to target that detonates on impact.
- Charged - fire one round on a shallow trajectory to target that separates into three bomblets on impact, which in turn detonate.
- Charged shots can be used to flush targets out of cover by firing it to the side of where they're hiding.
- A charged shot's powerful explosive nature can blow enemy bodies into scraps. This can be used to prevent Cannibals from having a corpse to consume for their armour plating.
- Treat the Venom as a grenade launcher. Using charged shots you can bombard groups of targets at range, or attempt trick shots exploiting walls and ceilings to rain bomblets against enemies that took cover.
- Because the Venom essentially shoots grenades, mods that enhance penetration serve no purpose. This means one can forego the High velocity barrel and shredder mods in favor of more useful mods such as Thermal Clip Capacity Mods or the High Caliber Barrel.
- The Shotgun Spare Thermal Clip is recommended to enhance the Venom's capacity.
- The Venom's main disadvantage is its weight: even after upgrading the Venom to rank X, it remains considerably heavier than other shotguns such as the M-11 Wraith. Players reliant on tech and/or biotic powers should note this weight penalty.
- The Venom is a very effective solution to enemy Phantoms. A well-placed shot can stagger the Phantom, leaving her wide open to any of your other attacks. When placed in the hands of a class with Overload or Energy Drain, skillful use of the Venom can swiftly shut down this normally wily enemy.