Okay, I normally don't read this kind of comics, but a friend of mine linked me to this thing many months ago, and it's become the butt of many jokes as a result. It's a DeviantART comic called "Mass Effect 3: Generations" by BlackLion310. It was made back in April, back when the ending buzz was in full swing. It's horrible. I've never read any fan-made alternate endings that I think were better than the original, and this is certainly no exception. It exhibits several things that fanfiction shouldn't do:
- Characters' dialogue doesn't match their established personality (Shepard and Harbinger's use of profanity).
- Characters magically are aware of things they shouldn't know (Shepard knows the Illusive Man's name, Joker knows that his sister is dead).
- Hardcore pandering to fans (James and Ashely shipping, more war assets than you can count, females of most species, super happy ending).
- Dead characters are brought back to life (Dr. Eva, Vigil, Mordin, Thane, and Kaiden).
Anyways here's the links:
- Cover. Guess who the love interest is?
- Page 1. The set up for "Blake Shepard".
- Page 2. IT used for handwaving purposes. Also, you're not gonna see those new Reaper troops again.
- Page 3. This guy's not big on punctuation.
- Page 4. What the hell is "Neo Medi-Gel"? Also, James and Ashley have been shipped. Poorly.
- Page 5. Everyone makes a break for the Citadel beam. Again.
- Page 6. This would be a good time to cut your loses and stop reading.
- Page 7. Shepard swears, and we get to see evil clones. I told you to cut your losses.
- Page 8. The artist's use of color is infuriating.
- Page 9. Lots of sound effects, but no apostrophes.
- Page 10. "Goodbye Jack Harper..."
- Page 11. Let's just mishmash various other scenes into one. Don't forget to give the Volus Bombing Fleet some face time.
- Page 12. We wasted time running around for ten pages, just to see Destroy happen?
- Page 13. Ah yes, the "Reaper Homeworld". That's clearly been established in previous lore.
- Page 14. No words to describe my anger.
So, yeah. That's it. You're welcome. If you curious, this guy actually has started a second comic staring the characters seen in the last panel. He's about ten pages in, but he seems to have forgotten about it. It's worse than this one. It doesn't seem to mention the "Dark Space Purge" they threw at us at the end. Instead, the kids just fight some boring anti-human terror cell. Here's the character sheet.
Update: Wow, I wasn't expecting such a big response this quickly. Due to "popular" demand, I'm gonna start posting his sequel comic, "Mass Effect: Legacy". It's not nearly as cringe-worthy as the first one, and the author seems to have forgotten about it.
- Page 1. Those "Earth Alliance" troops look like they jumped straight from Halo.
- Page 2. Hey! Mordin never mentioned any "family heirloom"! Did he even have kids?
- Page 3. Nice Pokemon reference there, Bandanna Guy.
- Page 4. I would never have known what species those two were if that character sheet didn't exist.
- Page 5. I should point out that the author clarifies what's going on in the description for each page, and he clarifies stuff that you can't possibly see in the panels.
- Page 6. The kids are revealed.
- Page 7. Just to clear this up, "Mordin" is Tank's real name.
- Page 8. We've gone from "Earth Alliance" to "Galactic Alliance".
- Page 9. THANK YOU FOR CLEARING UP THE REEGAR REFERENCE, GARRUS.
That's all we have for now. This guy hasn't updated it since early July, but I'll try to keep you up to date if he starts up again. He's also done a comic focusing on Miranda's wacky hi-jinks in between the second and third games, but I'm not gonna post that because, quite frankly, it's just too boring.
Update: Good Night, Sweet Prince.
Have a nice day.