With Gameinformer's most recent edition, there is an article that is called "The 30 Characters who Defined a Decade". The December issue of the magazine had three different covers, covering the characters from fantasy (God of War), scifi (Mass Effect), and historical type games (Assassin's Creed). So who made the covers and the list?
Well I don't want to get around, but the scifi cover features our favorite protagonist, and a certain reclusive tycoon. So where did these two people fall, and a few others that I chose. Hey, it's my blog after all.
- Falling in at Number Four is everyone's favorite SPARTAN-II, John-117. I little higher than I would have thought, but this is my blog after all. Personally I would have thought 6, but that's me.
- Falling in at Number Nine is that usurper from Fereldan, Loghain Mac Tir. I really didn't think he'd make the list, but that's me.
- Falling in at Number Twelve is our own Commander Shepard. Personally a little lower than I thought. Single digits is where I thought Shepard would fall, but unfortunately I guessed wrong.
- Coming in at Number Fourteen is a certain assassin droid from another series. That's right, it's HK-47 from KotOR and KotOR II. He's actually about where I'd expect, somewhere in the 14-17 range.
- Near the back is our favorite businessman/tycoon/pro-human, a.k.a. the Leader of Cerberus, the Illusive Man. to be honest I didn't expect he'd get on the list, but I guess we all can be surprised.
As for who is number one, well I won't spoil it, but I'm sure someone will. The only clue I'll give is that it from a game that received very little criticism.
There is a few other things that are listed like 5 characters who have Sytle over Substance, one is Isaac from Dead Space and another is Bayonetta. Another is some characters who are good for a laugh like Claptrap (Borderlands) and Sheogorath (Oblivion: Shivering Isles Expansion). Places to remember include Rapture (BioShock), the Capital Wasteland (Fallout 3), and Renaissance Italy (Assassin's Creed II).
Well I hope you all find this interesting. I'm only mad that I got the fantasy cover rather than the scifi cover. Oh well, but Gameinformer is making a lithograph of all three covers because they flow quite nicely when put side to side. That doesn’t mean I have to like it.
Also featured is some of "The Best Storytellers of the Decade". Listed is Drew Karpyshyn along with the writers for Uncharted, Amy Hennig, Patrice Desilets and Corey May, Assassin's Creed series, Ken Levine, System Shock and BioShock, and Dan Houser, GTA series.