About Me Edit
My name is William, I am 27, and I am a Staff Sergeant (SSgt) in the US Air Force Reserve, moonlighting as a security consultant for a major Silicon Valley pharmaceuticals company. I live in Santa Clara, California, and I LOVE Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2!!! I aim to do whatever I can to improve this site, as I feel it's a great resource. Also, I am an Bureaucrat (both here and at a secret side project...), so if anyone has any questions or needs help with anything, please just let me know!
Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but I have no patience whatsoever with crybabies, whiners, speculators, and boors. If you are going to be rude to someone else, plant purely speculative info, or insult others but then start crying when someone calls you on it, you WILL be hearing from me.
Now that the seriousness is taken care of, it's my goal to make this the most informative site possible, while also keeping it a nice, friendly environment for users. Any assistance in furthering that goal is, of course, greatly appreciated, and I try to acknowledge people for their efforts as much as possible. So I hope you all enjoy the site, and hopefully you'll be hearing from me (for something good, of course!)
Words to live by Edit
- "Let him who desires peace prepare for war"- Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (more commonly known as Vegetius) from De Re Militari
- "An armed society is a polite society"- Robert A. Heinlein
- "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent vice of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries"- Winston Churchill
- "Communism is the death of the soul. It is the organization of total conformity- in short, of tyranny- and is committed to making tyranny universal."- Adlai Stevenson
- "The best laws cannot make a constitution work in spite of morals; morals can turn the worst laws to advantage."- Alexis de Tocqueville
- "The world is not going to be saved by legislation."- William Howard Taft
- "A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company."- Charles Evans Hughes
This section will just be for quotes I like that aren't necessarily as concise and pithy as the ones featured above. They don't even necessarily have to be relevant to anything, I may just choose quotes from sources I like (such as George S. Patton, who provides the first of these) or works I like (such as the Anabasis by Xenophon). Good times!
- "Let them revere nothing but religion, morality and liberty." - John Adams, first Vice President and second President of the United States of America.
Featured Debate Edit
Trying something new here to see if I can't class this place up a bit. My user page, that is, not the wiki. The Wiki is plenty classy. So, a while back I found out about an organization called Intelligence Squared US, the American spin-off of an Oxford-style debating society in the UK. The debates are pretty cool. So, if you like debates and need some background noise, here you go!
Resolution - Freedom of Expression Must Include the License to Offend 16 October, 2006
For the motion
- Philip Gourevitch - Editor of the Paris Review and writer for The New Yorker
- Christopher Hitchens - author, journalist and literary critic
- Signe Wilkinson - editorial cartoonist for the Philadelphia Daily News
Against the motion
- David Cesarani - Research Professor of Jewish History at Royal Holloway, University of London
- Daisy Khan - Executive Director at the American Society for Muslim Advancement
- Mary Matsuda - Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center
This is the first really egregious example of the team arguing against the motion attempting to reshape the nature of the motion during the debate. It's always interesting to watch debates where this happens.
Winner - well, you'll have to find out for yourself! Oh, and there's quite a few of these, so I'll try to rotate them out every few days or so.
Wow... Just... wow Edit
So, I just about died laughing a minute ago. I've been dealing with some crybabies who don't like the way ME3 ended, so they keep vandalizing the site with this "Marauder Shields" nonsense. I keep deleting it and banning them. So how do they respond? They create the following article:
Add a photo
The douchebag Mass Effect Wiki mod that wants the world to forget Marauder Shields.
Hold the line for Marauder Shields.
Hold the line against SpartHawg948."
I can't tell you how hilarious this is to me! Thinking of them there all mad and such, probably imagining that I'll be livid when I see it. Guess again, chuckles...
Tongue-in cheek thought of the, ah, who am I kidding? I'm not gonna change this daily... Edit
- Some promotions are in works, once I take care of some various and sundries. So get ready to get congratulating. It's just common courtesy. SpartHawg948 (talk) 07:57, January 6, 2013 (UTC)
- OMG! Hockey's back! Hockey's Back! HOCKEY'S BACK!!! I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl!!! Time to watch my Columbus Blue Jackets... hopefully not suck as bad as they did last season. And honestly, as long as they have a win in their first 8 games, they've improved from last season, when it took till game 9 to get a win... SpartHawg948 (talk) 07:42, January 7, 2013 (UTC)
- That Wikia survey is freaking long! I better win an iPad mini after taking all that time to answer all those questions! :P SpartHawg948 (talk) 09:13, January 15, 2013 (UTC)
- Apparently, according to certain users, I've been learning from some David Gaider character. Anyone want to tell me who David Gaider is? I hate learning from people I've never heard of before. SpartHawg948 (talk) 07:16, January 24, 2013 (UTC)
- I like when someone demands an answer to a question they think you can't reasonably answer, a real Perry Mason-esqu "GOTCHA!" question. Then you answer the question, quite reasonably, so they ignore it and continue to insist that "I am still waiting for an answer to why ___". Real classy. SpartHawg948 (talk) 08:30, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
- So, at work, we periodically get buttons or pins or whatever to wear (like the pieces of flair from Office Space). The one I got today totally looks like the statue the survivors of the Hugo Gernsback built, from Jacob's loyalty mission in ME2. SpartHawg948 (talk) 07:42, February 8, 2013 (UTC)
- If anyone needs me, I'll be doing victory laps. Just let me cue up some appropriate victory music, including, IMO, the greatest guitar solo ever. Thanks again, everyone!!! SpartHawg948 (talk) 01:58, February 27, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh, and I try to be a mature adult, be the bigger man, act my age (which is depressing these days... probably why I don't update it in my bio), but I can't resist. To one editor in particular, I just want to say "nyah nyah nyah nyah-nyah!" :P SpartHawg948 (talk) 02:11, February 27, 2013 (UTC)
- Totally random gripe about another sci-fi franchise: Check out this article on a race from Star Trek. Notice the hatnote disambiguation at the top, right under the tags? Yeah, I can't tell you how aggravating that is... lousy "celebrities"... SpartHawg948 (talk) 08:32, April 23, 2013 (UTC)