Listening Post Alpha in the Erebus system is reportedly being attacked by unidentified life forms and is requesting assistance.
You first have to complete Noveria to get the Styx Theta cluster on your map. One way to acquire this assignment is to land on Altahe, as part of UNC: Listening Post Theta and fight your way to the back of the base. There are two terminals in the back, and one of these will get you this assignment. Alternatively, if you enter the Erebus system first you will receive a distress signal and this assignment will appear in your journal.
Surface EditThrow and Lift are very useful.
Land on Nepmos and make your way to the listening post. Fight off the first wave, then talk to Lieutenant Durand. She will tell you that this has been happening for the last few days and that the three marines remaining are all that is left of a platoon of 90. You will need to assist the remaining soldiers in fighting off waves of rachni. You can either run over and activate the generator by connecting the Mako, or drive the Mako around during the next two waves of rachni assault. If you connect the Mako to the generator, it will not be available for you to use during the fight, but the rocket turrets of the base will be activated. You will have to disconnect it in order to drive away.
After a successful defense, one of the marines will say that one of the UAVs has found a hollow space about 500 meters below the surface. Lt. Durand will ask Shepard to check it out. She will also mention that another listening post in the cluster went silent a few days ago. Choose your response, then head over to the mine to clear it out. Before you leave, grab the med kit from one of the shacks, and an upgrade kit and another med kit from the other.
Rachni Infested Mine Edit
Head down the entrance tunnel to reach the first room. When you reach the first room you see some holes on the far wall, but nothing will come out of them. Before entering the tunnel to the main room there is a crate off to the right of the entrance. This is a good point to save the game because of the amount of rachni you will enounter in the main room.
In the main room there are eight rachni holes, which will only release the rachni when a squadmate gets close to them. When you enter the room, watch your right because there will be a hole there, though it will only release one Rachni Soldier; the remaining holes will release two or three of them each. Keep cover in mind as you do this. Clear out all the holes before heading to the tunnels in the back of the room. There are also three crates around this main room.
The two branch tunnels are the next rooms. This is another good save point because you will face Rachni Soldiers and Rachni Brood Warriors. Remember that the Brood Warriors have some biotic potential and use stasis and a form of barrier to defend themselves. However, the Brood Warriors will come out last. You have to enter the room, i.e. step out of the tunnel, in order to get the rachni to come up from their holes.
- The first tunnel you enter (it does not matter which) has two Rachni Soldiers and a Brood Warrior. Once you have killed one of the Rachni Soldiers, the Brood Warrior will emerge. Grab the crate at the end of the room.
- The second tunnel has four Rachni Soldiers and one Brood Warrior. Once you kill two or three of the Rachni Soldiers, the Brood Warrior comes up. Grab the crate in the room before you leave.
Note that the the left room has an angled tunnel and jump, stopping the rachni from leaving the room, allowing you to fight from the main room and use the walls as cover. The right room is flat; rachni and the Brood Warrior will charge towards you. Run in, pull the rachni out, and find some sort of cover/obstruction to stop them from going into melee.
Taking out both Brood Warriors completes the assignment.
- This assignment may pay homage to the book/movie Starship Troopers.
- No experience is given for the actual killing of the rachni during the waves. This may or may not be a bug.
- There also seems to be a bug where Shepard or the teammates 'float' quite far above the ground when near the Lt. Durand or the other Alliance soldiers. This is easily fixed by moving far away from them ‒ Shepard will harmlessly 'fall down', and the team-mates will teleport to Shepard's side.
|Mission Index||Next Mission →|
|Assignments||UNC: Listening Post Theta|