Cooperative multiplayer is a game mode that is featured in Mass Effect 3, and marks the debut of multiplayer in the Mass Effect series. In this mode, up to four players can join together online and customize characters to fight on the front lines of the galaxy-wide war against the Reapers, as well as Cerberus and Geth forces. Progress in co-op earns the player rewards in Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War that can be used to influence the outcome of Mass Effect 3's single-player mode.
Playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer mode requires an Online Pass.
Missions in cooperative multiplayer consist of pitting the player and up to three other allies against eleven waves of enemies, including Cerberus, Reaper, or geth troops on various battlefields throughout the galaxy that can also be seen in the single-player. Players must survive these waves by eliminating the enemy forces, and also accomplish secondary objectives such as retrieving data packets from around the map or defending an ally while they perform a hack on a beacon. On the eleventh wave, all players must retreat to the initial landing site of a map and defend against the enemy for a set time period until an evacuation shuttle arrives. Succeeding will win the match.
Missions have four challenge difficulties, in order from easiest to hardest: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Platinum difficulty was added by the Mass Effect 3: Earth DLC pack. Higher difficulties feature stronger and more numerous enemies, as well as difficult enemy types in earlier waves, but will also reward more credits to spend in the Store.
Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War
- See also: Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War
Playing cooperative multiplayer ties into the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system. Participating in matches can quickly increase the player's Galaxy at War Readiness rating, and multiplayer characters who reach the maximum level can be "promoted" into valuable War Assets for the single-player campaign. Co-op and the Galaxy at War system are entirely optional, however, and are not necessary to achieve the optimal endings in single-player, although the process could be considered significantly more difficult.
Completing a multiplayer mission while having a readiness rating of 100% grants a 5% boost in experience earned, shortening the amount of time it would take to promote a multiplayer character to the Galaxy at War.
Each multiplayer user has an associated N7 Ranking. The ranking serves as an indicator of players' overall level of experience with the game, and is calculated by adding together the player's level in each class, plus 10 for each character that player has promoted.
- Main article: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer/Character Customization
Players can choose from six different classes and ten different races to create a unique multiplayer character. Characters' weapons and equipment can be customized between matches, and additional weapons and equipment obtained by purchasing packs from the Store. Leveling up and promoting characters directly affects a player's N7 Rank.
- Main article: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer/Store
The Store sells multiplayer item packs for a certain number of credits, BioWare points, or Microsoft Points. Contents of these packs include new weapons, multiplayer characters, experience points, weapons mods, and pieces of equipment, all of which are of varying quality. Credits to purchase packs from the Store are earned through gameplay.
- Main article: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer/Weekend Events
Weekend Events are held every other weekend. Participating in events can reward players with unique weapons, free items packs, and additional experience for multiplayer characters.
Depending on how well individual players or the entire squad does, at certain milestones, they will earn awards. The awards are leveled by Bronze, Silver, and Gold with each having their own individual levels.
Individual Awards are awards earned by each member of the team. They are specific to each character and is not shared with other members of the squad. Each weapon class in addition to tech and biotic kills has its own award for killing enemies with it. There are also awards for assisting other squadmate with kills, reviving downed squadmates, and getting headshots with any weapon.
Individual awards cannot be earned again in the same match. You can only get one of each individual award per match. The Bronze level of an award gives +500 exp, the Silver level gives +1000 exp, and the Gold level gives one of two bonuses. You get +1500 exp for weapon kills, and +2000 exp for anything else.
|Award Title||Bronze Award||Silver Award||Gold Award|
|Assault Rifle Kills||25||50||75|
|Heavy Pistol Kills||25||50||75|
|Sniper Rifle Kills||25||50||75|
|Submachine Gun Kills||25||50||75|
Awards are earned by the squad for killstreaks, the outcome of the extraction (at least one squad member must be extracted and the outcome depends on the size of the squad), surviving multiple waves consecutively without a single squad member going down, completing an unknown map, the level of the completed map, completing the map with unknown enemies.
Awards for survival and killstreaks are earned regardless of map completion.
|Award Title||Bronze Award (Bonus XP)||Silver Award (Bonus XP)||Gold Award (Bonus XP)|
|Extraction||Lone Survivor (+2500)||Partial Extraction (+5000)||Full Extraction (+15000)|
|Killstreaks||1 Killstreak (+2500)||2 Killstreaks (+5000)||3 Killstreaks (+10000)|
|Level Completion||Bronze Difficulty(+2500)||Silver Difficulty(+5000)||Gold Difficulty(+10000)|
|Maps||Unknown Map (+2500)|
|Enemies||Unknown Enemy (+5000)|
|Survival||3 Waves (+2500)||5 Waves (+5000)||10 Waves (+15000)|
Multiplayer matches are playable on a variety of different maps. The available maps are:
Resurgence Pack Maps
Rebellion Pack Maps
Earth Pack Maps
The Mass Effect 3: Resurgence Pack is a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 that added two new multiplayer maps, six new multiplayer characters, three new weapons, and four new consumable items. The pack was released on April 10, 2012 for Xbox 360 and PC, and April 11, 2012 for PlayStation 3.
The Mass Effect 3: Rebellion Pack is a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 that added two new multiplayer maps, six new multiplayer characters, three new weapons, a new match objective, and a new equipment slot. The Rebellion Pack was released on May 29, 2012 for all platforms worldwide, and May 30, 2012 for the PlayStation 3 in Europe.
Mass Effect 3: Earth is a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 that added three new multiplayer maps, six new multiplayer characters, three new weapons, twelve weapon mods, eleven gear upgrades, a new match objective, and a new Platinum difficulty. The Earth Pack was released on July 17, 2012 for Xbox and PC worldwide. For the PlayStation 3, the pack will be released July 17, 2012 in North America, and July 18, 2012 in Europe.
- Issues have been reported with already unlocked kits, characters, and items are being locked again, typically after switching kits. This bug has since been remedied and now it is impossible to buy kits from the store while "ready".
- Another bug occasionally happens by using Charge immediately before getting knocked out. It will cause the player to glitch heavily during movement, float several feet above the ground, before getting stuck either right underneath the map or several hundred feet above the ground.
- It's reported that host migrations can cause bugs with locking too.
- Sometimes when grabbing enemies, the grab animation will not occur, and the enemy will appear beside you, invincible. Should this occur, it is advisable to avoid that enemy until they die on their own (usually falling through the map).
- A bug has been reported that the Ultralight Materials upgrade for SMG's does not actually reduce power cooldown times. This bug was initially reported to be fixed in Patch 1.03; however, the bug is not fixed by Patch 1.03, and has been removed from the official 1.03 patch notes.
- The cancelled first-person shooter game, Mass Effect Team Assault, served as the basis for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. 
- Mass Effect: Infiltrator - A game for iOS and Android devices that also forms part of Galaxy at War.
- Mass Effect 3: Datapad - An app for iOS devices that also forms part of Galaxy at War.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9814-Here-s-Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-Mass-Effect-3%E2%80%99s-Co-Op-Mode.html
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9818-BioWare-Releases-Mass-Effect-3-Co-Op-Trailer;-Confirms-More-Playable-Races.html
- ↑ http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9954-Mass-Effect-3-Co-Op-Hands-On-Preview-%E2%80%93-For-the-Good-of-the-Galaxy-.html
- ↑ Gameinformer Issue 224 Pages 80-81
- ↑ https://help.ea.com/article/kits-relocking-issue-in-mass-effect-3-multiplayer
- ↑ http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/10082895
- ↑ http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9685812/25#9928144
- ↑ social.bioware.com/page/me3-patches
- ↑ http://games.ign.com/articles/122/1220932p1.html