The game takes place in the Andromeda Galaxy, "far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy," and is "very much a new adventure." The primary protagonist is a human called Ryder, who can be either male or female. Unlike Commander Shepard, Ryder has yet to achieve "hero status" prior to the start of the game, and will undergo a narrative arc more akin to the traditional hero's journey. While Commander Shepard can only be male or female depending on player choice, both male and female Ryders are said to canonically exist as they are siblings traveling to Andromeda with their family, including their N7 father. If a player selects the female Ryder, the male Ryder would be somewhere else in the universe and vice versa. The fate and whereabouts of the mother Ryder will also be addressed.
Ryder will be onboard the Tempest, a starship that has been sent to Andromeda to find a new home for humanity. A coalition of races from the Milky Way are also present in the journey to Andromeda. This includes an asari and a krogan prominently seen in the trailers.
Although there will be little to no reference to characters from the original trilogy, a few cameos are expected. Choices made in the original trilogy may be recognized, but will not be the main focus of the game.. Player choices related to the ending of Mass Effect 3 will not be acknowledged nor will a canon ending be selected. The original trilogy is said to provide a "foundational background," but it is intended that Andromeda be accessible for players who haven't played the original trilogy.
Branching dialogue options will continue to feature.
The game will feature an online component, though unlike the Galaxy at War mode of Mass Effect 3, it has been stated that it is unlikely it will affect the main campaign in a manner similar to War Assets.
Unlike the previous three games of the main series, which were built using the Unreal Engine 3, Mass Effect: Andromeda is built using the Frostbite engine, which is also used by Dragon Age: Inquisition. Because of this, the game will be able to share assets.
Conceptually, the game is intended to embody the themes of "stranger in a strange land," "I am the alien," and becoming a hero. These ideas were present in the earliest days of the project. The Mako's return was similarly planned early in development.
- ↑ MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA Official E3 2015 Announce Trailer
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 BioWare blog: "Introducing Mass Effect: Andromeda"
- ↑ Mass Effect website: "An Update On Mass Effect: Andromeda"
- ↑ YouTube Live at E3 2016 - Mass Effect: Andromeda Interview
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 E3 2016: HOW MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA’S RYDER IS DIFFERENT FROM SHEPARD
- ↑ Eurogamer: Mass Effect Andromeda's male and female hero choices are brother and sister
- ↑ Mac Walters Tweet
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Eurogamer: Why Mass Effect: Andromeda won't acknowledge your ME3 ending choice"
- ↑ "First Mass Effect 4 video shows Mako and new heroes"
- ↑ "New 'Mass Effect 4' details point to reboot"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Polygon: "MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA WILL STAR A YOUNGER, UNTESTED BAND OF HEROES"
- ↑ "Mass Effect: The Mako Returns - Update"
- ↑ "BioWare Talks Next Mass Effect on Twitter"
|Mass Effect Series|
|Games|| Mass Effect (CE, ♫) • Mass Effect 2 (CE, ♫) • Mass Effect 3 (CE, ♫, Multiplayer) • Trilogy|
Mass Effect: Andromeda
|Mobile Games||Mass Effect Galaxy • Mass Effect: Infiltrator • Mass Effect 3: Datapad|
|Downloadable Content||Mass Effect • Mass Effect 2 • Mass Effect 3|
|Books||Revelation • Ascension • Retribution • Deception • Initiation|
|Comics|| Redemption • Evolution • Invasion • Homeworlds • Foundation • Incursion • Inquisition|
Conviction • Blasto: Eternity is Forever • He Who Laughs Best • Library Edition
|Films||Paragon Lost (♫) • Mass Effect|