Mass Effect 2 Edit
Common military shotgun. Deadly at short range, but ineffective at long range. Very effective versus shields and biotic barriers, but weak versus armor.
Squad Use Edit
Player Notes Edit
- With the availability of the M-22, the M-23 Katana is essentially obsolete from the beginning of the game.
- That being said, the Katana may still be preferred by Vanguards and Soldiers with shotgun-oriented playstyles due to its larger clip size (which is a major drawback for the Eviscerator) and its traditional, superior performance against shields and biotic barriers.
Mass Effect 3 Edit
Mass Effect: Andromeda Edit
The M-23 Katana was a popular shotgun among Milky Way soldiers, criminals, and civilians. It was manufactured by Ariake Technologies, an Earth-based company eager to do business with the Andromeda Initiative.
- The appearance is somewhat similar to the alternate shotgun in Mass Effect.
- The Katana is likely named after a type of sword.
- The Katana shotgun has a unique draw and holster sound-effect. Instead of hearing the weapon "assembling" itself - as heard when drawing and holstering all other weapons in Mass Effect 3 - the Katana shotgun will sound like a katana blade being (un-)sheathed.