Normandy SR-2. The engineer sends Commander Shepard an email about the mech and requests that the Commander take care of it for her.
KEI-9 spends its time roaming the Shuttle Bay of the SR-2, occasionally projecting blue beams onto its surroundings. If Shepard stands in one spot or blocks the dog-mech's path long enough, KEI-9 goes into sleep mode by the Commander's feet.
- KEI-9 appears to be a model of the FENRIS Mech.
- KEI-9 is only available in the N7 Collector's Edition Pack for Mass Effect 3.
- The name KEI-9 appears to be a play on the word "canine".
- KEI-9 is not a squad member but is purely cosmetic, unlike Dog from BioWare's other main series Dragon Age.
- If engineer Gabriella Daniels is aboard, she may be overheard referring to the dog-mech as "Sophie" during a conversation with partner Kenneth Donnelly.
- In very, very rare circumstances, Shepard may give the dog-mech a new name: "Bolto".