The Journal is the mission log in Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, which allows the player to review completed, ongoing, and newly available missions. It can be accessed at any time from the main in-game menu.
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 Edit
The Journal is divided into two tabs, corresponding to the different types of missions available in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2:
- Missions - objectives that are considered a part of the main storyline.
- Assignments - side missions.
On each tab, missions are organized in lists as follows, depending on the player's progress:
- Uncompleted missions on top, completed missions in grayed-out text color below.
- Within the uncompleted missions, the most recently acquired mission is always at the top.
- Completed missions are organized by type ("Citadel:", "Illium:", "UNC:", "N7:", etc.), but not necessarily in the order by which they are completed.
Mass Effect 3 Edit
In Mass Effect 3, the Journal was merged with the Codex and reorganized into three tabs:
- Mission Summary - all missions available in the game.
- Codex - primary Codex entries.
- Codex (Secondary) - secondary Codex entries.
The Mission Summary tab does away with separating side missions into Assignments. All mission objectives are classified as Missions and listed in a similar manner as described for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.