This page is for discussing a policy related to the Mass Effect Wiki that may or may not be passed by the community. The Form below serves to describe the Policy and what it is about, or what it will modify.
Other Notes Edit
The Rich Text Editor has caused numerous problems and I'll list a few of them here. Fell free to point out inconsistencies or other problems below.
- Edits made with the editor frequently have to be fixed using wiki-text style input.
- The RTE spreads out templates and reformats articles to add additional spacing that isn't necessary and is usually uncalled for, which again has to be fixed.
- The RTE also sometimes reformats articles and throws off the formatting with indents and bullet points.
- Most new users and Unregistered Users don't know how, or can't, turn it off and the editor frequently causes problems
- Most senior editors use the wiki-text style input and once explained, new users seem to like the system as it appears easier.
- The RTE sometimes ignores wiki code and that leads to problem. Once of these problems was fixed recently on the Normandy SR-2 article.
- Unless done right, and carefully, the RTE sometimes puts images in the middle of paragraphs and even headlines, which again has to be fixed usually with Wiki-text input.
One thing I also feel that I must say is that I hear frequently that people do use the source code feature, which turns the RTE into wiki-text style editing. Also I really feel that I have to say this, using the wiki-text style input also allows browsers like Firefox and Chrome to use their built in spellcheckers.
So I feel that putting this out there and seeing what comes of this. Lancer1289 03:02, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- As proposer and someone who is frequently annoyed with this. Lancer1289 02:59, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me. -- Commdor (Talk) 03:06, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed. RTE seems to be a source of nothing but trouble. SpartHawg948 03:06, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- As long as there's sufficient guides or walkthroughs on editing html/wiki codes for newbies. — Teugene (talk) 03:28, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- I agree with Teugene on the point of having a walkthrough on editing pages for new users. I support disabling the RTE! GrandMoffVixen 04:47, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
Because disabling RTE requires staff intervention, I'll be contacting the staff to disable it, so it may take a few days. I'll post another note when the RTE has been disabled. Lancer1289 03:46, August 28, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks to the staff at Wikia, I can announce that the Rich Text Editor has been disabled. If anyone hasn't noticed already. Lancer1289 17:21, September 1, 2010 (UTC)