Diseases are abnormal conditions that affect the body of an organism which may be caused by external factors, such as exposure to viruses or bacteria, and internal factors, such as genetic abnormalities. Below is a list of diseases known to the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies.
Known Diseases Edit
- Affected species: humans
- Characteristics: A terminal neurodegenerative disorder that is caused by repeated element zero exposure. Ellen Ryder is a known victim.
Ahok Fasciitis Edit
- Affected species: asari
- Characteristics: A terminal disease that afflicts the asari. Its effects are unknown.
Alzheimer's disease Edit
- Affected species: humans
- Characteristics: Progressive memory loss. Grayboxes were originally developed to combat this disease.
Angaran photoreceptivity degeneration Edit
- Affected species: angara
- Characteristics: This unnamed disease is terminal to the angara, but occurs mainly in the angara who live in the sages commune of Mithrava on Havarl. For unknown reasons, the victim's body slowly loses its receptiveness to light. As angaran biology depends on light, the victim becomes weaker and weaker until they finally enter a coma and then expire. No cure is known.
- Affected species: asari
- Characteristics: Ardat-Yakshi is a rare genetic condition that affects an asari's nervous system. The condition is not harmful to afflicted asari aside from causing sterility, but during mating an Ardat-Yakshi's nervous system overwhelms the victim's, resulting in hemorrhaging in the brain and often death. Ardat-Yakshi cannot be identified until an asari reaches maturity, when it is too late to correct. Morinth is affected by this condition.
Blood Plague Edit
- Affected species: asari, turians, salarians, humans, possibly others
- Characteristics: A bio-engineered disease that was created by a faction of batarian extremists led by Jath'Amon who intended to assassinate the Citadel Council. It is communicable only in high concentrations, incubates very quickly, and has a 100% fatality rate.
Corpalis Syndrome Edit
- Affected species: turians
- Characteristics: A rare disease that causes severe neurological degeneration in turians. Although no cure for Corpalis Syndrome yet exists, an anonymous donation and recently granted clearance to cooperate with the salarian Special Tasks Group has allowed the Helos Medical Institute to proceed with testing on a possible new treatment.
- Affected species: krogan
- Characteristics: The genophage was a salarian-engineered bio-weapon created to drastically reduce the growth of the krogan population. It was deployed by the turians, successfully bringing about the end of the Krogan Rebellions. The genophage induced mutations in the krogan's genetic structure which reduced the viability of pregnancies, resulting in the majority of krogan offspring being stillborn.
H7N7 Flu Edit
- Affected species: raloi
- Characteristics: An infectious disease that affects avian species. H7N7 Flu was introduced to the raloi during galactic welcoming ceremonies held on their homeworld, Turvess. The raloi delegation to the Citadel was forced to wear environmental suits to protect against being infected.
Kepral's Syndrome Edit
- Affected species: drell
- Characteristics: A respiratory disease that afflicts drell. Kepral's Syndrome arose after the drell were evacuated from their arid homeworld of Rakhana to the hanar homeworld Kahje. Long-term exposure to Kahje's humid climate inexorably eroded the capacity for a drell's lungs to take in oxygen and damaged other organs, eventually causing death. While there is no cure for Kepral's Syndrome, hanar scientists are working on creating a genetic adaptation. Thane Krios is affected by this condition.
Omega Plague Edit
- Affected species: turians, batarians, krogan, possibly others
- Characteristics: A bio-engineered disease developed by the Collectors and unleashed on Omega. The plague had a high fatality rate, killing dozens of members of various species throughout the space station, but had no effect on humans or vorcha. Salarian scientist Mordin Solus eventually developed a cure that eliminated the plague.
- Affected species: varren, possibly others
- Characteristics: A sexually-transmitted disease only carried by varren. On the Normandy SR-2, Mordin Solus notes that the disease has somehow gotten aboard the ship, stating the implications are unpleasant.
Simian Bacterial Fever Edit
- Affected species: Unspecified
- Characteristics: An infectious disease that causes severe vomiting and fever; any other symptoms have not been specified. In 2185, there was a significant shortage of vaccines for this disease. A heavyweight contender of the Galactic Combat Sports League, Bant Cruor, came down with simian bacterial fever at the same time as the shortage.
- Affected species: humans, transmissible to other species except angara.
- Characteristics: A rare and highly contagious viral disease that is lethal to those who contract it. No cure exists. T-314 has three stages. In stage 1, those infected with it are carriers, the disease lies dormant and produces no symptoms and is non-contagious. Stage 1 can continue indefinitely or advance to stage 2 at any time. Physical stressors, such as awakening from prolonged cryogenic suspension, can trigger stage 2. In stage 2, the victim becomes violently paranoid. In stage 3, the disease becomes extremely contagious, airborne, and transmissible to other species, before killing the original victim. A human carrier of TH-314 named Ruth Bekker joined the Andromeda Initiative and traveled aboard Ark Hyperion. Upon awakening in Andromeda, her disease flared up and threatened to cause a pandemic across the Heleus Cluster, but she was dealt with by Pathfinder Ryder.