The angara have a similar leg structure to a quarian or a turian, along with relatively wide shoulders and narrow hips. They have two black eyes with blue irises, a single pair of nostrils, four or five fingers on each hand and folds of flesh on the sides of their heads. Angara are sexually dimorphic: male angara are taller than females, and females have narrower hips and rounder faces. The angara also seems to be resistant to cold, this can be proven on the planet Voeld in which the angara doesn't seem to bother with the cold. They also rely at least partially on photosynthesis or some similar process to get energy from sunlight. Lack of real or artificial sunlight causes them to "go dark", which weakens their immune systems and bio-energy.
Skin colours feature various shades of blue or mauve, sometimes shading into green or tan. Their blood is deep blue in colour.
The angara were once a highly advanced species that had spread to many worlds in the Heleus Cluster, but the appearance of the Scourge ruined their worlds and sent their civilization into a dark age that lasted a century. Recently, the angara of several worlds rediscovered spaceflight and reestablished communication with each other. The kett invasion of the Heleus Cluster in 2744 disrupted the rebuilding of angaran civilization under a unified government and led a period of infighting, which the kett took advantage of to solidify their occupation. The multiple angaran resistance movements were reorganized in 2814 by Evfra de Tershaav into the Angaran Resistance, headquartered on Aya.
The arrival of the Andromeda Initiative, although welcomed by the Angaran Resistance, has provoked a faction of angara called the Roekaar. Founded by the charismatic Akksul out of resentment for the Resistance and hatred for the kett, the Roekaar are a xenophobic paramilitary force hostile to all non-angara. The Roekaar are officially disavowed by the Angaran Resistance.
It is later revealed that the angara are in fact creations of the Jardaan, an advanced alien race native to Heleus that were also responsible for creating the Remnant machines. The Jardaan designed the first angarans centuries ago and seeded them on several planets within the Heleus Cluster. The reasoning behind angara's creation is currently unknown.
The angara as a people are very free with their emotions, demonstrative and "larger than life". If they love you they hug you, if they hate you or if you make them mad, they punch you; this extends to their own family members. The angara are typically mistrustful of other races, which is understandable; the last outsiders they met were the Kett and they have done nothing but attack and enslave the angara.
While they have only one true mother and father, the angara share their parents with the community. Their families are very large and play an important role in their lives.
While the angara have many different religions, all share the same basic tenet: that when an angaran dies, he or she is reincarnated and the reincarnated soul stays in the family, making their lineage stronger.
Although the angara have between 200 and 300 languages, their most common language is Shelesh, a lingua franca developed in the early days of angaran spaceflight before the Scourge. Shelesh faded into obscurity when angaran civilization collapsed, but has recently been revived as separated angaran settlements have reestablished relations. Known Shelesh words and phrases are listed below.
- angara - "civilized people", or "those who have put down roots"
- anj - "anchor", the source of the word angara
- daar - Literally, "rock" or "rock foundation", a village or small outpost between a city and a settlement in size. Plural form is daara.
- Gestiir - "tranquil stone plane"
- gosan - To cling or to grasp.
- gosan yav daar - Being Stubborn, literally "clinging to a rock."
- Haranj - "the fisher's lure", refers to the Black Hole
- jarevaon - "galaxy"
- Jarevaon Imasaf - "the Masaf Shell Galaxy", refers to the Milky Way
- jave jarevaon - "our galaxy", refers to Andromeda
- paara - to know or learn
- Roekaar - fearsome soldiers from angaran mythology, the namesake of Akksul's faction.
- shelesh - "to barter for the moon"
- shena - the mouth
- tavetaan - a friend or trusted comrade
- tavum - a pleasant intoxicant added to hot water or fruit juice.
- Teroshe - a term meaning roughly "cruel joke"
- vesagara - "uprooted people", or "exiles", a derogatory term used by the Roekaar for individuals from the Milky Way.
Notable Angara Edit
Angaran Worlds Edit
- The singular and plural form are both "angara" while the adjectival form is "angaran."
- According to Peebee, angaran food is in the form of paste and smells great but tastes bad.
- According to Jaal, our food tastes bland.
|Citadel||Asari • Drell • Elcor • Hanar • Human • Keeper • Salarian • Turian • Volus|
|Non-Citadel|| Batarian • Collector • Geth • Krogan • Leviathan • Quarian • Raloi • Reaper |
Virtual Alien • Vorcha • Yahg
|Historical||Prothean • Rachni • Other Historical Races|
|Andromeda||Angara • Jardaan • Kett • Remnant|