"Every great moment in our history began with a dream."A seasoned galactic explorer, Alec Ryder was a member of Jon Grissom's original task force which travelled through the Charon mass relay – the first encountered by humanity – in 2149. Ryder would go on to further prove his mettle by completing N7 training, solidifying himself as one of the Alliance military's elite. Eventually recruited into the role of Pathfinder for the Andromeda Initiative, Ryder represents the tip of the spear in humanity's efforts to find a new home in this unknown galaxy.
Born on Earth in 2129, Alec Ryder says his love of new frontiers was fostered by a childhood in the Sierra Nevadas. According to his service record, he joined the Alliance military and was eventually assigned to Jon Grissom's historic expedition through the Charon Relay.
Assigned as a military attaché to the Citadel in the late 2160s, Alec became interested in artificial intelligence as a means of human advancement. Being that AIs are illegal under Council law, however, his eventual research and experimentation on AIs resulted in a dishonorable discharge from the Alliance military. In spite of his disgrace, Alec continued his research, leading him to interviewing a quarian historian on the geth uprising, consulting Dr. Liara T'Soni and even reaching out to the Shadow Broker.
Mass Effect: Andromeda Edit
Upon arrival to Andromeda, the Hyperion suffers extensive damage from a mysterious cloud of dark energy. Alec is seen in the bridge arguing with Captain Dunn about how to proceed. Because Initiative protocol dictates that the Ark proceeds towards their appointed Golden World, Alec orders Lieutenant Harper to gather the Pathfinder team for an expedition to the planet.
During atmospheric entry, it is discovered that Habitat 7 suffers from perpetual lightning storms. The shuttles of the Pathfinder team are hit by lightning and end up being separated all over the surface of the planet. Alec's child eventually gets into radio contact and rendezvoused just outside of a Remnant structure occupied by the kett.
The Pathfinder team fights through kett forces and Alec uses his advanced AI, SAM, to begin translating the Remnant language. SAM is able to decipher enough of the language to allow Alec to interface with Remnant terminals. Alec leads the Pathfinder team to the control center of the Remnant structure, which Alec activates in order to stabilize the planet's atmosphere.
Later, Alec sacrifices himself to save his child from oxygen starvation after they sustain damage to their helmet. Ryder Sr. transfers the role of Pathfinder to Ryder Jr., creating a deeper bond between his offspring and SAM.
- As with the Ryder children, Alec's appearance can be customized according to player preferences: his appearance is automatically derived based on the twins'.
- In promotional material, Alec's N7 Pathfinder armor has a cloth collar. In gameplay, this collar has been removed. However, if the player equips the N7 Pathfinder armor, the collar is once again present.
- Despite being born prior to the discovery of Element Zero, Alec demonstrates biotic abilities during the mission on Habitat 7.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/795680713068740608
- ↑ Game Informer: 101 Questions And Answers About Mass Effect Andromeda
- ↑ https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/825880810607824896